Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Technique Club - Background Sponging

Hope your week is off to a great start.  I was able to get stamping time and family time into my weekend - so I am ready to go!

Every time I teach a technique - I realize there are so many ways to do things.  I've done backgrounds with brayers, and daubers, and sponges.  But for this one we're going to concentrate on using SU sponges.  The sponge rounds are great - and can be cut down to 6 and even 8 wedges.
We used a very simple sponging technique - just picking up the color we wanted and pouncing it onto the cardstock.  You can see by doing this rather than pushing on the sponging and spreading the color you get a more stippled affect for your background.  We used a circle mask made out of a post-it to mask the area sponged.  Then they could stamp their image after removing the mask for this out of the box (circle :) look -
Or stamp it while the mask was still on to contain the image.
Either way - it turned out lovely.  These birds from the Wetland Set (I think they are sandpipers) are perfect on this image - looks like they are walking along the seashore - just as the bright son is starting to descend in the western sky.  Such peaceful scene. 

And here's a little tip to help keep your fingers clean while sponging - and also keep the right sponge with the right ink pad:  TIP - Punch out a piece of cardstock the color you are using with a larger longer punch - fold in half and staple onto the sponge.  Hope you can see what I mean in the example above.  I just keep these in a basket and reuse them over and over.  

Thanks for stopping by!  ~Maureen
Products used to complete project shown.--

No comments: