Monday, March 21, 2011

How I made Corned Beef and Cabbage

Hi All, I've had a few emails since St. Patrick's Day asking how I did my corned beef - so I thought I'd share. We actually buy our corned beef roast at Costco - it comes with wonderful seasonings. I put it in the bottom of my crock pot - then on top I put a head of cabbage cut in wedges, red potatoes cut in half and mini carrots - don't those colors just look great! Next I poured a can of Murphy's stout over the top and cooked it on low for 9 hours - we served it with a darker wheat bread - although I think it is traditional to serve with rye or Irish soda bread. I can't say I like Murphy's stout to drink (we do not drink beer normally ever) - but we shared a can and ended up pouring most down the drain - but the way it flavored the corned beef and veggies was perfect. I've made it without stout in the past - and I have to admit it is much better with. If you try this some time - let me know what you think!!

No comments: