Saturday, July 5, 2014

Yummy Zucchini Casserole

Just want to share my very favorite way of eating zucchini - it's that time of year when there is an abundance - and even though I like it in breads, muffins and steamed or sauted - this is my fav.  The ingredient list is simple - 1 onion sliced thinly, several zucchini or other summer squash (enough to make a couple good layers in the casserole dish, 2 cans chopped/diced tomatoes (I use one tomato and one mild rotel for a little kick as shown in picture), 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, black pepper and salt.
Lightly spray Pam on bottom and sides of casserole dish, then layer half of zucchini (I put about twice as much zucchini in each layer as shown in the picture below), half of the onion, one can of tomatoes, 1 cup of the cheese, black pepper - then repeat ending with the rotel, cheese and pepper and a little salt.  Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 40-45 minutes till cheese is melted, brown and bubbly and zucchini is tender to the fork.
Here it is all done - it is a wonderful side dish for burgers or meatloaf.  I hope you enjoy it!!
See you soon ~Maureen

No comments: